It is always wonderful to share updates with our NERD community. #CalNERDS @CalNERDS
STEM Education Graduate Student NERD & STEMinist Alumna Laleh Cote highlighted by UC Berkeley Graduate Division for her work in STEM Identity
Fall 2018 | Check out this feature here: https://grad.berkeley.edu/news/headlines/research-science-identity/#.W30lPwNhSNs.linkedin
Biology NERD Cindy Barrios Pino highlighted in UC Berkeley Podcast
Fall 2018 | Check out the podcast here” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JU02FrMqY8&feature=youtu.be
Chemistry NERD Arismel Tena helps launch new equity and inclusion oriented Chemistry club called Chem-Unity
Fall 2018 | Check out the story here: https://chemistry.berkeley.edu/news/college-chemistry-students-launch-chemunity-club
Mechanical Engineering NERD Alumni Andrew DiMauro, University of Michigan PhD Student, publishes research paper!
Fall 2018 | Check out his paper here: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1540748918306023?via%3Dihub
Computer Science NERD Jackie Garcia wins National Boxing Championship!
Spring 2018 | See her video feature here: http://news.berkeley.edu/2018/05/08/longtime-fighter-graduates-as-a-champion/
Congratulations to Our Cal NERDS UC LEADS STEM Research Poster Winners
March 2018 | All of our Cal NERDS UC LEADS Scholars did an excellent job of designing their posters and presenting their research at the UC LEADS research Conference that was hosted by UC Santa Barbara. Our group was made up of 9 NERDS poster competitors (research projects listed below).
- Cal NERDS UC LEADS Scholar Cindy Barrios, Molecular Environmental Biology: “Enhanced Plant Innate Immunity”
- Cal NERDS UC LEADS Scholar Ahyeon Hwang, Computer Science: “A Structured Dataset Based on the Hangul Writing System for Developing Interpretable Deep Learning Methods”
- Cal NERDS UC LEADS Scholar Edgar Ibarra, Physics: ” Effects of Hermite-Gaussian Laser Models on Beam Shaping for Plasma Wake Field Acceleration”
- Cal NERDS UC LEADS Scholar Brandon Tran, Physics: “Direct Stacking of 2D Materials for Fabrication of High Quality Van Der Waals Heterostructures”
- Cal NERDS UC LEADS Scholar Silvia Miramontes Lizarraga, Mathematics: “Light Curves Produced by Starspots”
- Cal NERDS UC LEADS Scholar Jacob Bryon, Physics: “Search for the Chiral Magnetic Effect in Heavy-Ion Collisions and Quantification of the Background with the AMPT Model”
- Cal NERDS UC LEADS Scholar Yasmeen Musthafa, Physics: “Synthesis of Automatically Thin Transition Metal Dichalcogenides by Chemical Vapor Deposition”
- Cal NERDS UC LEADS Scholar Lekha Patil, Data Science: “The Effect of Whitespaces Between Semantic Groupings in Alternative Word Clouds”
- Cal NERDS UC LEADS Scholar Anthony Salazar, Material Science and Engineering: “X-Ray Reflectivity of Thin Film Heterostructures”
UC LEADS welcomes our 2018 cohort!
March 2018 | Thank you to all of the students who showed interest in our program. We appreciate everyone’s efforts.
- Alexis Andres Palacios Duran, Physics
- Arismel Tena-Meza, Chemistry
- Camille Harris, Computer Science
- Emily Hill, Computer Science
- Evelyn Deagueros, Physics
- Mayia Vranas, Physics
Congratulations to Our Cal NERDS NSF LSAMP STEM Research Poster Winners
February 2018 | Proud of all the hard work that all our NERDS put into their research posters for the Statewide NSF LSAMP Research Conference that was hosted by UC Irvine. Our group was made up of 11 NERDS, seven of which were competing in the poster competition (research projects listed below).
- Cal NERDS NSF CAMP & UC LEADS Scholar Cindy Barrios, Molecular Environmental Biology: “Enhanced Plant Innate Immunity”
- Cal NERDS NSF CAMP Scholar Alexis Flores-Betancourt, Applied Math: ” Effect of Acid Sites on Platinum Catalyzed C-C Bond Transformations”
- Cal NERDS NSF CAMP Scholar Salvador Gomez, Mechanical Engineering: “The Influence of Black Body Radiation on an Equivalence Principle Test”
- Cal NERDS NSF CAMP & Bergeron Scholar Arcelia Hermosillo Ruiz, Physics and Astrophysics: “Identifying M Dwarfs and Their Stellar Companions”
- Cal NERDS NSF CAMP & Bergeron Scholar Julia Hestenes, Physics: Structural Analysis of Biofuel Pellets Using Micro-tomographic Image Processing”
- Cal NERDS NSF CAMP Scholar Francisco Ojeda, Civil Engineering: “Fiber-Entrained Self-compacting and Geopolymer Concrete Use in Tunnel Linings and Other Structural Applications”
- Cal NERDS NSF CAMP Scholar Arismel Tena-Meza, Chemistry: Amphiphilic Pi-Allyliridium C, O-Benzoates Enable Regio-and Enantioselective Amination of Branched Allylic Acetates Bearing Line Alkyl Groups”
Cal NERDS Public Health & Biostatistics Alumna, Chadni Kazi, to be featured as TEDx Speaker
- February’s UC Berkeley TEDx speaker will be our very own Chadni Kazi who has mentored our NERDS through our STEMinist program and has been an advocate for students with learning disabilities. Learn more here: http://tedxberkeley.org/speakers/Chandni-Kazi/
Cal NERDS Bergeron Scholar Arcelia Hermosillo Ruiz Wins National Physics Research Poster Award at SACNAS!
- We are very proud of Arcelia for working hard on designing and presenting her Harvard research project from this past summer. She competed in the National Society of Chicanos and Native Americans in Science conference held in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Congratulations to our NEW Fall 2017 Cohort of NSF STEM CAMP Scholars!
- Salvador Gomez, Physics
- Bianca Acosta, Civil Engineering
- Biz Whitney, Molecular Cell and Biology
- Aron Valdivia, Applied Math
- Joshua Gonzalez, Applied Math and Physics
- Angel Klyce, Cognitive Science & Computer Science
- Karla Palos Catellanos, Applied Math
Congratulations to our NEW Fall 2017 Cohort of Women in STEM Bergeron Scholars!
- Michele Chang, Public Health & Integrated Biology
- Nikki Chiang, Molecular & Cell Biology
- Arcelia Hermosillo R