This scholarship program is made possible by a generous donation by bay area philanthropists - Sandra and Doug Bergeron. It is designed to empower UC Berkeley upper division students who identify as women and are majoring in STEM through mentorship and some scholarship support.
Increasing the Number of Women in STEM - Creating Leaders
This is a one year experience where Scholars are matched with a high-level industry mentor and for the academic year. In addition, they also receive advising, some scholarship support, and LinkedIn coaching. Some additional opportunities may include a faculty mentored research experience, professional headshots, travel to professional development and/or research conferences. These experiences may help to solidify their next step in their STEM career trajectory.
Application Deadline Closed on Wednesday, September 20th
The final selections of two-five new Bergeron Scholars will be announced by mid-October or earlier. New selected Bergeron Scholars will participate during the fall 2017 and spring 2018 semesters..
Bergeron Mentors Highlights
Mentors are paired with mentees based on areas of interest (physics, chemistry, biotech, computer science, etc.). Often this relationship goes beyond graduation as these role models become part of the mentee’s network of support. Both Sandra and Doug Bergeron make time to be involved in the interview selection process and engage with their scholars throughout the year.
- Dr. Shymali Singhal helped her mentee create a plan to navigate the MCAT exam and medical school applications
- Dr. Natalie Roe met with her mentee on campus over lunch and shared her wisdom as the Director of Physics Division at LBNL
- Dr. Wendy Young created a meaningful shadowing day for her mentee to experience Genentech first hand
Bergeron Scholars (2017 Cohort)
- Michele Chang, Public Health & Integrated Biology
- Nikki Chiang, Molecular & Cell Biology
- Arcelia Hermosillo Ruiz, Physics
- Julia Hestenes, Physics
- Michelle Gantos, Mechanical Engineering
Bergeron Scholars (2016 cohort)
- Ankita Joshi, Mechanical Engineering
- Nazineen Kandahari, Molecular and Cellular Biology/Public Health
- Miriam Mendoza Orozco, Integrative Biology
- Angelique Scheuermann, Chemistry
- Jacqueline M Taylor, Environmental Engineering
Bergeron Scholars (2014 and 2015 cohorts)
- Janna Abad, Environmental Engineering Science
- Anastasia Bizyaeva, Physics
- Jackie Garcia, Computer Science
- Bryana Gutierrez, Mathematics and Statistics
- Elizabeth Marrone, Computer Science and Cognitive Science
- Delara Mohtasham, Mechanical Engineering