This scholarship program is made possible by a generous donation by bay area philanthropists - Sandra and Doug Bergeron. It is designed to empower UC Berkeley upper division students who identify as women and are majoring in STEM through mentorship and some scholarship support.
Increasing the Number of Women in STEM - Creating Leaders
Scholars are matched with a high-level industry mentor and for the academic year. In addition, they also receive advising, some scholarship support, LinkedIn coaching, and additional opportunities which may include a faculty mentored research experience, professional headshots, travel to professional development or research and professional development conferences to help solidify their next step in their STEM career trajectory.
Bergeron Mentors Highlights
Mentors are paired with mentees based on areas of interest (physics, chemistry, biotech, computer science, etc.). Often this relationship goes beyond graduation as these role models become part of the mentee’s network of support. Both Sandra and Doug Bergeron make time to be involved in the interview selection process and engage with their scholars throughout the year.
- Dr. Shymali Singhal helped her mentee create a plan to navigate the MCAT exam and medical school applications
- Dr. Natalie Roe met with her mentee on campus over lunch and shared her wisdom as the Director of Physics Division at LBNL
- Dr. Wendy Young created a meaningful shadowing day for her mentee to experience Genentech first hand
Bergeron Scholars (2016 cohort)
- Ankita Joshi, Mechanical Engineering
- Nazineen Kandahari, Molecular and Cellular Biology/Public Health
- Miriam Mendoza Orozco, Integrative Biology
- Angelique Scheuermann, Chemistry
- Jacqueline M Taylor, Environmental Engineering
Bergeron Scholars (2014 and 2015 cohorts)
- Janna Abad, Environmental Engineering Science
- Anastasia Bizyaeva, Physics
- Jackie Garcia, Computer Science
- Bryana Gutierrez, Mathematics and Statistics
- Elizabeth Marrone, Computer Science and Cognitive Science
- Delara Mohtasham, Mechanical Engineering
Application | Our 2017 application will open in July and close in late August. The final selections of three-five new Bergeron Scholars will be announced in September 2017.