Developing socially responsible NERDS
Incorporating service projects to help our various communities is a high impact experience for Cal NERD Scholars. It also teaches team building, project management, and leadership skills.
On March 21st, 2017 we welcomed Vallejo students from Jesse Bethel High School to visit our campus to meet our NERDS. We took them on a custom campus tour of student spaces, showcase STEM research labs that our NERDS are working in, and had lunch with our NERD scholars.
Here is a highlight from last summer 2016, our service project was doing hands-on science experiments at bay area school - Roosevelt Elementary (this video shows how excited some of the kids were).http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2016/07/13/nerds-group-supports-students-striving-for-stem-careers)/
Additional Past Highlights
- College NERD academy with St. Hope - Sacramento Charter High School
- NERD Patrol Ambassadors for the Native American Heritage Kick-off Luncheon
- Mini NERD Olympics with the African American Male High School Pipeline Project
- NERD Patrol Ambassadors for the Puente Community College Transfer College Conference hosted by UC Berkeley
- YMCA Kids Science Day
- Individual and Group Diversity STEM High School Campus Visits
- Building Mechanical Hands to donate to communities in Africa
- Philanthropic team bike building for local kids in need
- Power Shopping at the Math Mall - 7th/8th grade girls Math Experience
- The Chemistry of an Aquarium